Re: where to put object file

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:44:05PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> Where should a required object file  be put?
>
> File in question is a mainline stub, associated with a
> static archive, program is built by linking it with
> the archive and user object file.

If I were upstream, I would probably put it inside the static archive using
ar.  If that is not desirable, e.g. because there are two upstreams, I would
make it a separate static archive, using ar.  However, if upstream doesn't do
that and you want other sources which use this method of linking to keep
building without modification (unlikely anyway, as the library path is not
searched for object files), I think it should go in /usr/lib/package/, like
other (platform dependant) package helper files.

I suppose this is a -dev package btw?  If you're packaging the compiled
program, the object file and the static library are both no longer needed, as
they are statically included in the executable (as far as needed by it), so
you don't need to put them in the package at all.

> The archive is in  /usr/lib, should the .o go there too?

I think only libraries should go in /usr/lib.  A directory like that gets
pretty unreadable, because it's so full of stuff, but the fact that the
compiler can find things there is worth it.  However, as it won't find object
files there (unless specifically pointed to it), putting them there anyway
would just be obscure IMO.

However, IANADD, so I could be wrong. :-)

Bye,
Bas Wijnen