RFS: libopenspc -- library for playing SPC files

* Package name    : libopenspc
  Version         : 0.3.99
  Upstream Author : Brad Martin <bmartin@umr.dot.edu>
* URL             : http://zinx.xmms.org/xmms/
* License         : LGPL, Clarified Artistic
  Description     : library for playing SPC files

 libopenspc provides a library that allows for the emulated
 playback of SPC files, which are SNES audio files. It uses
 the SNESeSe emulator sound core for accurate playback.

Packages: libopenspc0,  libopenspc-dev

packages/source available from my repository at:
  deb http://ithaca.schultz.local/debian/ unstable/i386/
  deb-src http://ithaca.schultz.local/debian/ unstable/source/

This package was born out of quite a mess. Upstream doesn't seem to exist
anymore -- Google turned up nothing. The URL points to a location where I was
able to find a working CVS snapshot, however, and with much love and care I
was able to nurse libopenspc into passing the lintian checks. It's not
autotools based -- there's a single Makefile, which is where most of the
changes had to be made. To add to the troubles, the core is x86 specific
assembly code, so I've had to use a lintian override for
shlib-with-non-pic-code -- I've checked this out on this list, and gotten
confirmation from Frank Lichtenheld that this is the right thing to do, along
with building an arch specific package -- he's already messaged
debian-release to document this (see discussion 'Packaging a shared library
with non-PIC assembly').

But that's the bad part. Now for the good: libopenspc is built on the SNESeSe
sound core, which is widely regarded as one of the most accurate SPC players
available. Although upstream is missing, unless the assembly stops compiling,
I can keep the code in good shape myself, if need be -- its basically a
simple wrapper around the ASM core. I packaged this mainly as a dependency
for xmms-openspc 0.0.4, which I use daily, so if anything breaks I'll be sure
to notice it. Additionally, this is something new for the archive -- Debian
doesn't have anything capable of reading SPC files (unless you want to count
zsnes).

Thanks for reading,

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber