Re: Best way to maintain a package for multiple Debian releases?

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:01:56 -0600, bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) said:

> Jarle Aase wrote:
>> I'm about to make some .deb packages. Some will hopefully be accepted
>> as official packages, while others will be built for my own
>> convenience (to ease installation and upgrades on Debian servers I
>> maintain).
>>
>> The packages includes shared C++ libraries, binaries, databases
>> (MySQL) and some Java programs.

[...]

> For your own purposes I would just maintain the packages on the oldest
> of the tracks that you need to support.  That is, if sarge is the
> oldest that you need to support then just use a sarge build for your
> own use on sarge, etch, and sid. ...

That probably won't work due to the C++ ABI transition.  For a C
package, it may work.  Also, sid may have additional packages that
enable extra functionality that you would want with the sid package.

> The pbuilder package is useful to set up a chroot and build against
> woody on sarge and other combinations.

I'm facing the same question as Jarle, and this is what I was planning
on doing.  You may need to maintain a diff between the sid/sarge/woody
versions, if there's any difference (such as in the control file).

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA