should I create both static and shared libraries manually?

I am reading http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#staticonlylibs in order to package a library. That document suggests to provide both static and shared library packages.

I am thinking of packaging fortranposix library. The upstream provides a makefile which creates only the shared library. Now my question is

1) Should I edit the make file to create a static library as well?

2) Is there any other way/tool to generate a static library automatically without editing the makefile?

thanks for any response
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi