Re: Shotgun Debugger: different data packages depending on endianness

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> I've created two different packages, one with the md2 files and another one
> with the md2b files. I've tried to make the main program install the
> appropriate package depending on it's endianness but I wasn't able to get it
> working. Any ideas how to do it? BTW, which debian archs are big endian and
> which are small endian?

You can Build-Depend on the "type-handling" package.  As long as the
main package is Arch: any, this has a way to make the main package
Depend upon the appropriate data package (sdb-data-little-endian vs.
sdb-data-big-endian ?) by playing with the debian/control file at build
time.  I assume both data packages would be Arch: all, right?

Alternatively you could have the data package be Arch: any and build it
with the appropriate endianness for each platform.  But that would waste
an awful lot of disk space.

I agree with Justin that it would be most preferable to have only one
data file package, and hack the program code to flip the endianness (on
the appropriate platforms) in memory at the time of loading the data files.

>From what I remember, the following are little-endian:
i386 amd64 alpha ia64 mipsel

and the following are big-endian:
powerpc s390 m68k mips sparc hppa

I believe arm and Super-H can be either endianness, but Debian only
supports one endianness for arm -- I forget which though.  (Super-H is
an unofficial port which I think plans to support both cases.)

regards,