Re: splitting a package's source

On 04/06/05, Shachar Shemesh <debian@shemesh.biz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am both the maintainer and upstream for a package called "rsyncrypto".
> It's an encryption program for files with a twist (rsync friendly).
>
> Putting on my upstream hat, I am trying to make sure the package keeps
> on consistently conforming to previous versions. To that end I have
> created a regression testing infrastructure. It's a bunch of files
> pre-encrypted and with their keys. It also has a script that checks that
> the current version can still decrypt the original files in the
> regression test suite.
>
> Here's the problem, though. These tests are binary files, that make CVS
> sluggish and unresponsive. I simply cannot keep them on the same CVS
> tree as the sources for rsyncrypto. As such, I want to split the
> regression tests to a separate source file.
>
> Removing my upstream hat, and putting on my maintainer hat, I would
> still like that building rsyncrypto will be able to "make test" and run
> the regression test suite on the files. In effect, I need rsyncrypto to
> be built from two source files. My question is, "is this possible"?
>
> One way I thought of doing it is to create a Debian package called
> "rsyncrypto-regtest", and have rsyncrypto build-depend on it. That is
If there are other custom build tools, you may just want to consider a
rsyncrypto-dev package, otherwise you might just want to settle with
rsyncrypto-test (people may not understand what regtest is a reference
to, I actually thought for a moment it expanded to "registration
test".

As for Build-Depend, I doubt that, why not make -test a completely
seperate package, have a rsyncryptotest binary to run the test
commands, and have that Depend on "rsyncrypto", that means you are
giving X user the option to run the test suite, by doing this, it
means that users who don't care (many sadly don't) aren't forced to
test something they don't want to.

It also means that users can easily verify any prebuilt binaries
quickly and easily.