Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 17:56:26 +0200 (CEST)
From: Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es>
To: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
Subject: language.dat in allegro

Hi,

I'm packaging a game called Kraptor (
http://kraptor.sf.net ) which uses the allegro
libraries. I have the package almost finished, but I'm
finding a problem I cannot solve. Has any of you
packaged an allegro-dependent game?

The problem is the multiple languages in the game.
Allegro loads a language.dat file for that. According
to allegro documentation:

Specifies which language file to use for error
messages and other bits of system text. The parameter
is the name of a translation file, and can either be a
fully qualified file path or a basename like "en" or
"sp". If the latter, Allegro will look first for a
separate config file with a name in the form
"entext.cfg", and then for an object with that name in
the language.dat file (eg. "ENTEXT_CFG"). The config
file or language.dat file can be stored in the same
directory as the program, or in the location pointed
to by the ALLEGRO environment variable. Look in the
language.dat file to see which mappings are currently
available.

When I run the program with:
strace kraptor 2>&1| grep language
I see it tries to access:
"language.dat"
"/home/inniyah/language.dat"
"/usr/share/allegro/language.dat"
"/usr/local/share/allegro/language.dat"

But I see no way of telling the system that the file
is in "/usr/share/games/kraptor/language.dat". Any
ideas?

Greetings,
Miry