Re: [Help request] packaging pyne 1.0.3 - build problem

Hi,

[...]
RuntimeError: could not open display
configure: error: GTK+ version >= (2,0,0) required
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
[...]
My guess is that you are logged in as a normal user and running debuild as root, am I right? In that case, it appears to be complaining about being unable to connect to an X server.

But I could be wrong :)

your guess is absolutely right, but its not only a security issue: the
DISPLAY variable is also not set. I could build the package by granting
access to the XServer (xhost) *and* setting the DISPLAY variable to :0.0
in the configure script (export DISPLAY=:0.0).
But, you still need a running X-Server, so this is probably no solution
for the build environment.
The X-Server connecton is needed by the checks for the gtk and the pygtk
version, starting with "import gtk" in configure.in . Maybe you could
rewrite these checks so that they do not need the X-Server connection.

BTW: Your package depends on autoconf and you also call autoconf
when building the package; usually this should not be necessary,
the proper configure script should be provided, i.e. if you need
to rebuild the configure script then add the diff for the script
to your already existing 01_fix_build_issues.dpat.

Best Regards,

	Andreas

--
Andreas Fester