Subject: Re: [Fwd: Packaging ACT-R]
Date: May 18, 2005 01:59 pm
From: Dan Bothell <db30@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: neumann@lostwebsite.net

--On Tuesday, May 17, 2005 7:06 PM -0400 John Anderson <ja@cmu.edu> wrote:
> Subject: Packaging ACT-R
> From:    François-Denis Gonthier <neumann@lostwebsite.net>
> Date:    Tue, May 17, 2005 6:37 pm
> To:      ja+@cmu.edu
>
> Hi,
>
> I posted a message about packaging ACT-R for Linux distributions some
> weeks  ago but go no answers of any kind.
>
> So I decided to contact whom is usually said to be the author of the
> software  I would like to package.
>
> I would like to know who is the person that could answer more specific,
> technically and legally speaking, questions about packaging ACT-R for the
> Debian Linux distribution (or any other Linux distribution for instance).
> I  know the software is licensed under a the GPL so there shouldn't be
> any  problems, but I think that documentation and tutorials are worthy of
> being  packaged as well.
>
> François-Denis Gonthier
> Debian Project Contributor

My name is Dan Bothell and I work for Dr. Anderson as the programmer
and maintainer of the ACT-R materials.

You are correct in that the license for ACT-R allows you to package
and distribute the source code however you want.  However, because we
often update the system, to prevent any issues with version differences
we do not support any distributions other than the ones obtained from our
web site and prefer that people only acquire the software directly from us.

The tutorial materials (unit texts and models) are not distributed under
the GPL and may not be included in any distribution you make available.

We appreciate your interest in ACT-R, but can not support your effort
to redistribute it.  If you do distribute the materials, we ask that
you please indicate that it is not an official distribution and indicate
that one can get the official distribution from the ACT-R web site.

Thank you,
Dan