Re: pre-built pwc modules for official debian kernel

On 14-May-2005, Victor Seva wrote:
> Eric Lavarde wrote:
> > Nevertheless, if I try to compile pwc as non-root (how it should
> > be, in my understanding) [...]
>
> Compiling the kernel or modules as non-root?? why? This work is for
> the admin... so root is the right user to use.

Root os never the right user to use, unless absolutely necessary. This
follows from the "principle of least privilege": security is enhanced
by performing every task with the least privilege required to do it.

It should never be necessary to become root to compile any program or
build any package, including a kernel; all you're doing is reading
files and writing them in a directory which you control as a normal
user.

This is why the 'fakeroot' program exists; to pretend to have a root
filesystem, even when one is not required (such as when building a
package like the kernel).

--
 \            "If you continue running Windows, your system may become |
  `\                 unstable."  -- Microsoft, Windows 95 BSOD message |