Re: pre-built pwc modules for official debian kernel

Hi,

perhaps a bit off-topic but we had the discussion already a while ago, and I don't come further on what is the "Right Thing To Do".

My understanding after the last discussion is that:
- if one use a standard kernel, say kernel-image-2.6.10-1-k7
- one install as well kernel-headers-2.6.10-1-k7
- this and make-kpkg should be enough to compile the Debian way external modules (like pwc).

Nevertheless, if I try to compile pwc as non-root (how it should be, in my understanding), I get the following error:

ericl@zorglub:/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.10-1-k7$ fakeroot make-kpkg --added_modules pwc-source modules_image
# work around idiocy in recent kernel versions
test ! -e scripts/package/builddeb || \
            mv -f scripts/package/builddeb scripts/package/builddeb.dist
test ! -e scripts/package/Makefile || \
(mv -f scripts/package/Makefile scripts/package/Makefile.dist && \ (echo "# Dummy file "; echo "help:") > scripts/package/Makefile) mv: cannot move `scripts/package/Makefile' to `scripts/package/Makefile.dist': Permission denied
make: *** [stamp-debian] Error 1

So, did I misunderstood something, or is someone/something else the culprit here?

Thanks, Eric

Victor Seva wrote:

I created the pwc-source package [1] and now its in new queue pending to be included on sid [2].
Sean Finney its my sponsor but We have no experience on kernel modules packages. And We want to make
pre-built modules for official debian kernel in order to make things easier to the users.

How this staff works? What source packages should I take a look?

[1] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pwc/
[2] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
- --
Victor Seva

--
Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.