Re: RFS: I'm looking for a sponsor for xlogmaster (an orphaned kackage).

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 21:04 +0200, Patryk Cisek wrote:
> > I thought the user would only be prompted if the file changed *and* they
> > had made local modifications to the old file.  The last is fairly unlikely
> > for READMEs.
> Yes that's true. I've included these READMEs to conffiles now. Changed package
> files are at:
> http://poczta.prezu.one.pl/xlogmaster/

What's the point of this? For example, why would one want the README to
stick around after the package has been removed? (c.f. 10.7.3) Unless
the README is actually a configuration file, it should be
in /usr/share/doc, perhaps named as README.configuration if there's a
different README already there.

Please don't confuse the fact that files in /etc are configuration files
-- which is defined by policy 10.7, and READMEs don't qualify -- with
the fact you can have files in /etc be *conffiles*, which is one
possibly implementation of the requirements policy sets for
configuration files.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>