Re: html-xml-utils, License: W3C Software Notice and License

[My apologizes, Geert, I meant to reply to the list in the first place.]

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:57:28 +0200, "Geert Stappers"
<stappers@stappers.nl> said:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:21:01AM -0600, Beverly Davis wrote:
> > Package: html-xml-utils
> > Version: 3.6
> > Section: web
> > License: W3C Software Notice and License
> > http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
>
> How does that comply with DFSG?

I'm new to this, but I think that it does comply.  It is quite similar
to the BSD lisence which is explicitly stated to comply with the DFSG.

Besides the license itself, here's some more information that might
help.

Amaya (the W3C's HTML editor and browser) is released under a very
similar license (an old version of the same) and is in Debian main.
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/amaya

The W3C claims that it's an OSI certified
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/W3C.php
and GPL compatible
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

The W3C provides a FAQ about their licenses which might help
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#Software

The only thing I wondered about is the non-advertising clause.  Is this
a problem?

> >  A number of simple programs for manipulating HTML and XML: number
> >  headings, make a table of contents, make an index, manage bibliographic
> >  references (a simple implementation of refer(1) for HTML), list all
> >  links, create cross-references, extract elements that match a (CSS)
> >  selector, etc. Most are meant to be used in a Unix pipe or in shell
> >  scripts.
>
> Cheers
> Geert Stappers

Regards,