Re: RFS: volume.app - A dockapp enabling esay control of the volume level

El sáb, 16-04-2005 a las 15:18 +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt escribió:
> Carlos Parra <carlospc@gmail.com> writes:
> >  Package name	: volume.app
> [...]
> > This program it's quite simple, and have been orphaned for a while... i
> > use it frequently, that's the reason i would like to adopt it.
>
> Well, there are *3* bugs about this. In your changelog, you only close
> one (which is merged with another one, but this leaves #302588).

 In http://bugs.debian.org/volume.app there is just one bug (#302588),
this bug was open by me in a mistake. The bug i close in changelog is
#274281, that's the bug of "orphaned package". AFAIK, there aren't more
bug's for this package.

  I've wrote in changelog:

  * New maintainer (Closes: #274281, #302588)

> There was the suggestion to change the package name to something without
> the ".app" suffix (which is used for GNUStep packages). Please do this
> change, but read the documentation about the migration to a new package
> *before* you do it.

The real name of the project is "volume.app", do you suggest any name
instead of it? volume-app?

> Anyway, the rest of the package is horribly broken.
>
> * debian/control:
>    + Please replace the xlibs-dev dependency with the -dev packages you
>      actually need (xlibs-dev was split some time ago and is a
>      meta-package nowadays)

 Already done :)

Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxi-dev,
x-dev, libxpm-dev

>    + You only need 3.6.1 in the Standards-Version, the last part of the
>      version number is not important and is bumped for fixes that don't
>      change the meaning of the policy.

  changed

>    + AFAICS, volume.app only works with OSS mixers, if this is correct,
>      you should put in the description

  changed:

 A small graphical software utility enabling quick and convenient
control of a computer's audio volume level. It requires an Open Sound
System  (OSS)-compatible sound driver. It is...

> * debian/copyright:
>    + Please say who actually owns the copyright.

 changed:

This program is Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Daniel Richard G.
<skunk@alum.mit.edu>

>    + This (and i quote it, because i want to use it as example for the
>      rest of the list) neither lists the copyright owner(s) nor does it
>      clarify the license, it is just b0rken:
> | Copyright:
> |
> |                     GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
> |                        Version 2, June 1991
> |
> |  Free Software Foundation
> |  59 Temple Place - Suite 330
> |  Boston, MA  02111-1307,  USA
> |  Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
> |  of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
>      Please replaces this with the correct copyright information, a
>      valid license statement and a reference to the GPLv2 file in
>      /usr/share/common-licenses. Please also note that the actual
>      license is GPLv2 or higher.

 changed:

Copyright:
		    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
		       Version 2, June 1991

 Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
License (Version 2) can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2`

> * debian/dirs:
>    + You don't need this file, make install creates the needed dirs.
>    + Why do you create usr/sbin?

 deleted

> * debian/docs:
>    + The documents listed here are passed as CLI argument to
>      dh_installdocs in debian/rules. You don't need the file.

 deleted

> * debian/rules:
>    + Remove the configure targets, you don't use (nor need) them.

 deleted

>    + The CFLAGS magic: You don't use CFLAGS (which you should do), so
>      either remove it or use it to tell make what to do.

 deleted

>    + The INSTALL_PROGRAM magic: Remove it, you use dh_strip.

 deleted

>    + Remove all the dh_ calls in binary-arch that are in comments and
>      therefore not used.

 done

> Marc

I've uploaded the new package with all the changes:

http://www.carlospc.org/debian/volume.app/

I think that volume.app is ok, but if anybody think that it has to be
changed, i will do it, of course.

Thanks a lot to Marc :)