Questions about packaging LaTeX macros

Hi debian-mentors,

I ITP'ed xymtex ( http://bugs.debian.org/304714 ), which (assuming I can
clear up some licensing issues) will be my first LaTeX macro package.  I
have a few questions for you while I wait for upstream to reply to my
email about licensing clarifications:

1) Some .sty files are in a subdirectory - that is, most get installed
to /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/xymtex/ but a few go into
.../xymtex/xymtxps/ - will mktexlsr still find them there?

2) Upstream source includes a bunch of .dtx and .ins files as well as
.sty files.  It appears that the .sty and .ins files are both
autogenerated from .dtx files (in some way involving "docstrip" which I
don't yet know).  Should they all be installed into the xymtex binary
package, or only the .sty's?

3) Since the .sty files are autogenerated, should I be trying to
re-generate them before installing them?  Upstream source doesn't have a
Makefile or anything, so it isn't immediately obvious to me how to do so.

4) On a similar note, upstream includes .tex, .dvi, and .pdf files of
XyMTeX documentation.  Should I be re-generating the DVIs and PDFs?  (I
could have sworn there was a recent thread about this very subject on
debian-mentors, but I can't find it, nor remember the conclusion.)

Thanks in advance for helping to clear up my confusion!

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544