debian directory included in upstream

Hi,

The author of one of the packages I was packaging for
my own use has asked me to be the maintainer of the
debian's package. The problem that I found is that in
latest versions he includes his own version of
debian's directory inside the original tar.gz file as
you download it from the web.

I've tried to explain to him the reasons behind doing
it the proper way, with a diff file, but I don't think
I was able to do that too well. Quoting him: "The
reason I added debian subdirectory is to distribute it
with the source files."

Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Greetings,
Miry

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es