Re: user feedback during (un)installation

Sven Mueller wrote:

Installations with debian packages are far too verbose already for my
taste. Please don't bother the admin (me) with questions at uninstall
time as well. I hate giving an (un)install command, only to come back a
few hours later to see that it waits for my input approx. 10% through
the process.

Actually, with (network) installs, this is even worse:
When installing the system (sarge, with current debian-installer in
expert mode), you often get the situation where you answer a (few)
question(s), wait for more questions to come up but only see it
downloading more software, so you leave the host alone to for a while (a
few hours possibly), only to come back, seeing it waiting for you to
answer another few questions, you do that again only see it doing more
downloads, .....

The debian installation improved quite a bit over the last two years,
but it is still faaaaar away from where I would like to see it:
- Boot CD/DVD
- Answer a few questions (e.g. partioning, boot loader type, packages
  selection, language, keyboard type, network setup, mirror selection)
- Wait for all packages to be downloaded and unpacked (*)
- Answer all the questions those packages might want answers to
- Have a running system

* This is the most important point: We can't avoid a wait here, since we
need time to partition the disk, download/unpack packages etc., but
there shouldn't be multiple prolonged waiting periods during an
installation.

I'm actually only reading this list to get useful tips, because I might
want to become a DD in the future.  However, I have an idea for this,
and I would really like it to be included in the installation.

Whenever a package asks a question, the package should be added to a
list of "needs answering".  While waiting for the answer, the
installation should continue with other packages (which don't pre-depend
on any package which needs answers).  That way, after waiting some time
(possibly hours), most of the work has been done, and you can just
answer the questions which are queuing up.  After that, only a few
packages (those that needed answers and the ones pre-depending on them)
need to be installed.

If this would be implemented, it would also be possible to skip some
questions until later, and answer some others, so you can wait until
someone who understands the question in some cases, without holding up
the rest of the installation.

I hope you didn't mind me doing other things than asking questions here.
 But this is something which annoyed me for quite some time, and if it
could be improved I would be quite happy.

Thanks,
Bas