copyright and license missing?

Hi,

I am working on these two packages: libtorrent and rtorrent [1].  There
are no copyright claims on any source files or README files.  There is
only an AUTHORS file with the name and email of the author.  On the
other hand, it is indicated on the website that the software is
"Licensed under the GPL", but I can find nowhere in the source tarball
saying so.  There is a COPYING file (GPLv2) though.

Obviously, the author wants the software be released as GPL, so it
should be DFSG free.  But, he didn't follow the "How to apply" guide of
GPL.  Are there source tarballs suitable as part of debian source
packages?  And, how should I write the debian/copyright?

Thanks,
Qingning

[1] http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/