Re: Regarding /usr/local with private packages

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Christian Hammers wrote:

> I'm building a private(!) package with files in /usr/local/bin for a host
> where /usr/local/ is a symlink.  Whenever I remove the package the symlink
> gets removed by dpkg although there are plenty of (non-Debian maintained)
> files in /usr/local.
>
> I guess this is because dpkg "thinks" the directory is empty and tries to
> clean up.

I would say it's because your package owns /usr/local in the
"dpkg -S /usr/local" sense. The .list files in /var/lib/dpkg/info do not
specify whether the owned items are files or directories, so dpkg
follows the /usr/local symlink when installing your package, and then
removes /usr/local as it's not owned by any other package when uninstalling it.