Re: dealing with non-standard upstream packaging?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 02:03:48PM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Justin Pryzby (justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
> > If you have to repackage it, (FE for DFSG compliance), then you should
> > create the tarball name_version.orig.tar.gz which extracts to the
> > directory name-version.orig/ (such as to implicitly identify it as a
> > nonpristine tarball).  get_orig_source should do this, too.
> Hm. I always thought that just deleting files from the tar (without extracting
> and repackaging) was the preferred suite of action. The marking seems to be
> done with version suffixes (such as the "ds").
The property of using a pristine .orig is very high precedence, but
not as high as being free.  The .orig should be compatible with the
DFSG, even at the cost of using a nonpristine one.

How do you delete files from a .tar without repackaging?  Do you mean
1) extract the tar; 2) delete the files; 3) recreate a tar of the same
name?  Or do you mean simply not including those files in the binary
package?

The .dsfg marking is used in the version number of binary packages, I
know, but nowhere in the source ones.  (Which is implied, actually, by
the requirement that source packages, even if repackaged, contain no
files added or modified by Debian).

Justin