Re: common function handling in maintainer scripts

In article <[🔎] 20050224233219.GA23327@www.lobefin.net> sgran@debian.org writes:
>My question is: can I source it in config as well?  I suspect not,
>because of the preconfigure run that apt does.  I suppose if I really
>wanted to do this, I could exit 0 at preconfigure time, and only run it
>at configure, but that seems wrong to me.

You could test for its existance, but you might get an older version
on upgrades.

>The second question is (on a completely unrelated note): is there any
>problem with assuming the presence of a color capable $TERM, and is
>anything likely to break if I do?

Yes.  Many systems don't have them.  Use terminfo to find out what
cababilities are available and use them only if available.

What breaks depends on your program.  d-i currently assumes terminal
capabilies and on some systems I wind up installing mostly blind.
(No indication of what option is selected.)
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html