common function handling in maintainer scripts

Hello all,

I have a source package that generates multiple binary packages.
Since the packages are similar in a lot of ways (config file structure,
handling of config files, etc), I have a lot of functions that are the
same in several maintainer scripts.  Ideally, I would like to split them
out into a common_functions file, and source it each time, instead of
having lots of redundant code lying around.

So, the binary packages include a -base, that all of the others using
maintainer scripts Depend on.I know that I can source the common functions
file in the postinst of all the other packages besides -base (and likely
in -base as well, since by postinst it should be unpacked, right)?

My question is: can I source it in config as well?  I suspect not,
because of the preconfigure run that apt does.  I suppose if I really
wanted to do this, I could exit 0 at preconfigure time, and only run it
at configure, but that seems wrong to me.

The second question is (on a completely unrelated note): is there any
problem with assuming the presence of a color capable $TERM, and is
anything likely to break if I do?  I have seen other linuces that use
coloration in init.d scripts for success and failure, and I thought it
looked kind of cool.  Since it's easy, I was thinking about doing it in
the binary packages, but I wanted to ask if it was a bad idea first.

Thanks all,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |