Re: RFS: ITA: tex4ht -- LaTeX and TeX for Hypertext (HTML)

Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> schrieb:

> Dear Frank,
>
> Thanks for the detailed response. This mail is a bit long please bear with
> me.
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:20:32PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> I think you should include 1.3a and put a remark into the file
>> explaining why. Furthermore, you should contact upstream and talk with
>> him about a rewording of the sentence about program renaming: The
>> exception from the old LPPL restrictions that he grants might already be
>> covered by LPPL-1.3b, and he might want to use that wording or simply
>> drop it.
>
> I have amending the copyright file. Upstream author is using 1.3.
> I will e-mail him regarding the precise form of the modification
> restriction.

Note that he doesn't restrict the license. Instead, he grants an
exception from a restriction that older LPPL versions made, that is his
license is more liberal than older LPPL version.  The wording of the
exception sounds as if he wanted exactly what was introduced in
LPPL-1.3; therefore I suggested to remove it, or consider to use
identical wording to LPPL-1.3a and make the sentence just a repetition.

> This restriction also creates some trickiness for
> /etc/tex4ht/tex4ht.env --- which is a conffile after all!

That is no problem, tex4ht.env says:

% You are allowed to modify this file without changing   %
% its name, if you modify its signature. Changes to the  %
% signature can be introduced by changing the            %
% parenthesized content within the leading line of this  %
% note.                                                  %

And LPPL-1.3a says:

,----
| If you are not the Current Maintainer of the Work, you may distribute
| a Derived Work provided the following conditions are met for every
| component of the Work unless that component clearly states in the
| copyright notice that it is exempt from that condition. Only the
| Current Maintainer is allowed to add such statements of exemption to a
| component of the Work.
|
|    1. If a component of this Derived Work can be a direct replacement
|    for a component of the Work when that component is used with the
|    Base Interpreter, then, wherever this component of the Work
|    identifies itself to the user when used interactively with that
|    Base Interpreter, the replacement component of this Derived Work
|    clearly and unambiguously identifies itself as a modified version
|    of this component to the user when used interactively with that
|    Base Interpreter.
`----

So this is clearly no further restriction, it's just an explanation how
it can be achieved that the component identifies itself as modified.

>> - Your diff.gz contains quite some stuff that does not seem to be
>>   Debian-specific - e.g. temp/Makefile, manpages. If you or older Debian
>>   maintainers wrote it, was it submitted upstream?  If not, where did
>>   you get it from?
>
> The files were created by Andrew Gray (previous Debian maintainer). It is
> unlikely that these will be used upstream as explained in README.src.

Are you sure? The man page could be interesting for any user, even
outside Debian; and the Makefile was explicitly written with a
"PACKAGEDFOR" variable that changes its behavior when set to Debian, or
not.

>>   As a solution for your third point you could simply use a sed script
>>   to replace the version date by the number found in the sources. Or you
>>   could try to fix the creation process - I'm sure there must be a way
>>   to do it with TeX.  I might be able to help if you provide what you
>>   wrote so far.
>
> What I have is not fit for publication but the shell script for converting
> tex4ht-c.tex is enclosed. The result matches the existing file precisely
> and should work for any modifications made to tex4ht-c.tex as well.

I'll have a look

> What I am planning to do is to provide a mechanism for someone who *makes
> changes* to the files in /src to incorporate these into a new Debian
> package.

Yes, fine.

> The
> documentation typos have been fixed in my version.

I'd like to see this information in the changelog.

>> * Are you sure that it makes sense to install all the fonts in
>>   /usr/share/texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/? In particular, what is the purpose
>>   in having /usr/share/texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/win?
>
> These fonts are used if one wants to generate an html file for
> incorporation into MS Word. This is perhaps still not a good enough reason :)

Oh, well, I'd say it is. There are other tools than MS Word that can
read such files, and the information seems to be more complete than in,
e.g., the ooffice directory.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster