Re: maserver: Dynamic libraries inside a program package

 --- Justin Pryzby
<justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> escribió:

> Good you saved a 10k:).  Really, though, you saved
> yourself a few
> files, which is nice.

Yep, thanks for your advice, it was really valuable :)

I'm in contact with upstream author now so he can give
me a clue about the program's internals and how the
configuration files should be done. He promised to
send me an email with that :)

> You might be interested in the --whole-archive
> option to ld (see its
> manpage for details).  It is often used to make a
> shared library from
> a static one, and this use is discouraged (read:
> "forbidden").  But I
> think you might have a legitimate use for it; if the
> upstream build
> system likes to create a library, you can modify
> just the creation of
> the executable to include the entire library
> (instead of what would
> potentially be a messy hack to include all of the
> files inside it,
> since linking to it as a library only includes the
> necessary symbols).

Yep, what I finally did was to include all the library
files in the executable. I think that should be a
reasonable method :)

> Note also that if you are not making a shared
> library, you should not
> be compiling with -fPIC.  That means all of the code
> included into the
> executable.  The .so plugins *must* be compiled
> -fPIC.  See policy for
> details.

I haven't checked that. Thanks for pointing it out :)

The program seems to work now as installed from the
package. I just need to find out (and document a bit)
configuration options :)

> Cherio,
> Justin

Thanks an Greetings,