Re: Package to contrib or non-free

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:44:48 +0100,
Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I have a question to one of my packages (Jmol, LGPL licensed), I
> unofficially maintain.
>
> Sources:
> http://debian.wgdd.de/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/source/science/
>
> The package source comes with a few precompiled Java binaries (.jar).
> Now I have the possibility to use Debian packages instead of the
> distributed ones (e.g. commons-cli.jar, itext.jar).

You should ;-)

> But there are still a few libraries left (netscape.jar, Acme.jar,
> vecmath1.2-1.14.jar), which do not exist in the Debian distribution.

What is netscape.jar? Is it javascript (see rhino)? Is it about ldap
(see libldap-java)?

Acme.jar is just one or two classes and I think it's free, but I don't
know which package could give you these two classes. Just open the jar
and put the content in jmol.jar.

Someone is working on vecmath.

> Now I'm not sure, where to put the jmol packages. Can I
> put them into contrib or do I have to put them into non-free. The
> policy says:
>
> [cite]
> Examples of packages which would be included in contrib or
> non-US/contrib are:
>
> -free packages which require contrib, non-free packages or packages
> which are not in our archive at all for compilation or execution, and
> -wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
> programs.
> [/cite]
>
> During my build-process I make runtime-dependencies to the Java libs
> which are in the official Debian distribution and I include all other
> stuff (from netscape.jar, Acme.jar, vecmath1.2-1.14.jar) into the Jmol
> binary. Can someone review my package and give me some feedback? Hints
> for a beeter quality of the package are also welcome.

That solution is acceptable if the three jars are really free, but I
don't like the idea not to build a jar from sources. Do you have the
license of these three jars and can't you build them from sources? If
you can, you should make separate packages from these three jars (as I
already said, netscape.jar could be in Debian but with a different name,
Acme, you can put it in the binary, and someone is working on vecmath).

I don't have time to review your package now, but you can join the
debian-java mailing list, you could have also some help there.

Cheers,

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud