Re: Versioning prereleases

Roger Leigh wrote:
When 5.0.0 comes out, I don't want the -beta and -pre releases to sort
higher than it, and I'd rather not resort to extra ugliness in the
version number.  What would you recommend as the correct version
numbers to use in the changelog for a smooth upgrade?  Are there any
examples?
I you don't mind uglyness in the pre release version numbers, but not in the release itself: I use something like 4.9.99+5.0.0-pre1. If something happens, you can always increment the 99, just make sure the former doesn't look loke a "real" version number used by upstream.

Kind regards

T.
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/