Re: encoding of debian files debian/*

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:38:40PM +0100, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> I wonder when one stops thinking of a character as in the latin script
> then. Obviously Bopomofo is out, and closer to home, so would Cyrillic,
> but the Latin page in unicode has some pretty weird ones, like:
>
> 	?? or ??
>
> (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OPEN O and LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S)

Respectively from Latin Extended-B and Latin Extended-A. As I said,
there is no official policy on it, to the letter of the policy any
non-ASCII is currently forbidden.

I think defenitely Extended-A should be allowed, but don't know about
Extended-B, which contains mostly africa-specific characters, but also
for example the Macedonian/Serbian g with an acute accent. We shall not
know the details until policy has been decided, but I think all of it
should be allowed.

Note that there are bugs on policy from 2001 onwards for this issue,
#99933 for example. I have good faith something like this will be
accepted into policy post-sarge.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar