Re: RFS(2): autoreply - A safe, rate-limited auto-responder

Disclaimer: I am Chris's day job boss, the person who originally suggested Chris package auto-reply.

Back in August, I choose to download the tarball for auto-reply instead of using vacation, despite the fact that I had used vacation for some years.

As far as I can tell, vacation requires a home directory and auto-reply does not (albeit somewhat awkwardly). This is useful in mail systems where there are no home directories. Generally, I found auto-reply somewhat easier to deal with, though it has been a while and I find to remember precisely why.

Also, for what it is worth, after deciding vacation was not suitable,

	apt-cache search reply

...turned did not turn vacation or another suitable package.

Florent Rougon wrote:
Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

The author(s) can spend free time in any way the author(s) wish to.

I'm glad to learn that.

Likewise, Blars and myself are free to tell authors that what they
have written appears to be a waste of their time when Free alternative
"foo" exists. Just like you are free to tell me that responding to
your message is a waste of my time, and others can tell us that
reading this thread is a waste of their time.

I was reacting to the "yet another vaction clone by someone who didn't
bother to read the vacation man page" part of Blars' message, which
seems to be overly harsh (and maybe untrue) if it is only meant to say
"a free program with mostly the same features already exists".

Furthermore, the message above isn't written in the context of telling
the authors that they should never have written said software, only
that said software should probably not be included in the archive
because other tools already frobnicate better (or as well.)

I don't think this was the only message carried by Blars' words, but I
may have misunderstood him...