Re: About x.org and other packages

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:55:13PM +0100, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi you all guys !!

Hello.

> I'm looking for a package that I like to keep it care of. I'm not sure
> which to take. I'm a University student from Spain and I've to say that
> I've a little time everyday to check for updates and things like that,
> so I think that I would be useful for Debian Project. hehe.

We don't have packages that are waiting for new maintainers... at least we
don't give them away here ;)
You have to find some useful piece of software yourself. Good start point
would be our WNPP requested packages.
(http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested)
This way you can assume that someone will use your package.

> I've some questions, of course for being a newbie Debian maintainer
> (because I'm an "advanced?" Debian user), I'm not going to take care of
> x.org, but I'd like to see it into official Debian repositories instead
> of our XFree86, x.org is more powerful and It improves in many ways
> compatibility. So I  was wondering if someone is going to bring it to
> Debian.

X.org will be probably included, but only after sarge. I suppose you don't
have an idea how hard is to maintain XFree.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=xfree86
Just take a look at number of bugreports.

> I've read how I can reach the Debian maintainer role, and I've some
> questions. I've to write here for the package that I want to maintain,
> true?, then I should be helped by another maintainer to learn how to
> build packages the best way, right?

If you prepare some package then, yes someone from here could take a look
on it and give you some advices. But as I said... you have to find
prospective package yourself.

> I think I got the most important points about how to be a Debian
> maintainer and I dream with a "something@debian.org" email address, hehe.

Proove it doing good volunteer work ;)

> You community are the best of all this... THANK YOU VERY MUCH. We really
> love Debian here in Spain.

Nice to read it ;)

regards
fEnIo

--
      _  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | IRC:fEnIo
    _|_|_     32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Polska