Re: best way to announce important changes

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:00:08AM +0100, Christoph Wegscheider wrote:
> I maintain the rsnapshot package, which is a perl script for backups.

> In the next upstream version there will be changes which WILL break
> almost all setups. One has to modify the conf file to avoid that.

> According to the developer reference (6.3.4) such changes should be
> mentioned in the News.Debian file. I think that's not enough, because
> if one doesn't change the conf file rsnapshot will not fail, but will
> do things (most likely) not wanted by the user. Therefor I intend do
> show a warning with debconf.

> Are there better solutions?

Fix your package so that on upgrade, it properly updates the config file so
that it *doesn't* do things not wanted by the user!

Neither debconf notes nor NEWS.Debian are an excuse to break a user's
system.  If you're breaking a config interface and it is possible to migrate
old settings to the new (i.e., you don't have to worry about user config
files scattered through various home directories), there is no reason not to
do so.  Rather, these are the enhancements that explain *why* people choose
Debian.

If for some reason this isn't possible, then and only then should you use
NEWS.Debian to document the issue.  But not a debconf note -- debconf notes
are not and never were intended for this.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer