Re: renaming a library package (advice and sanity check)

Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org> writes:

> The recent thread on names of library packages on debian-devel made me
> decide that I made a mistake in naming one of my packages.
> Specifically, the vips7.10 source package creates four binary
> packages: libvips7.10, libvips7.10-dev, libvips7.10-tools, and
> libvips7.10-doc.  There's no reason for the version number to be in
> the name of the package since there's no reason to support more than
> one version of this library at a time.

I neglected to mention the new package names: libvips10, libvips-dev,
libvips-tools, libvips-doc.  "10" is the soname of the current libvips
library.  After the next ABI change, we'll have libvips11,
libvips-dev, libvips-tools, libvips-doc, etc.  In other words, these
packages are low profile enough that I think the only version number
in any of the package names should be the soname in the runtime
library.  This should make for the smoothest library transition when
this eventually needs to happen.  (The library ABI has been very
stable, and upstream deals correctly with library sonames.)  Leaving
the number out of the -dev package means that dependent packages can
just be rebuilt without any changes if the binary interface changes
but the source interface stays the same.