Re: Patching the upstream sources, and the debian diff

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:39:09AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Alejandro Exojo <suy@badopi.org> [2004.12.30.1031 +0100]:
> > > Ideally, "source" packages would contain only true man-written
> > > sources.  If your diff is big because generated files are being
> > > changed, then have ./debian/rules:clean target remove them.  Then,
> > > dpkg-buildpackage will warn "file deleted", but that's okay.
> >
> > OK.
>
> This will not decrease the size of the source package, since
> whatever you delete in the clean target will not remove the files
> from the .orig.tar.gz file.
Right, I'm not sure if my intent was clear.  I don't care about the
size of the source package, except that I strongly prefer that the
.orig. is identical to upstreams.  I do not care if I have to delete
some generated files in ./debian/rules:clean, even though dpkg-source
will warn me, and they will still exist in the .orig.

This approach will, however, get rid of the diffs of generated files
from the .diff., because ./debian/rules:clean is called before debuild
creates the .diff.

Justin