Re: Patching the upstream sources, and the debian diff

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:56:28AM +0100, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> Hi.
Good evening,

> However, looking at other packages, I see huge diffs with more than 300K, and
> including lots of generated stuff. So here are my questions:
Often, the only useful thing the .diff.gz does is to create debian/.
If I actually end up changing the upstream source, then I like to be
able to read the diff, and I'm sure to clean up generated files (see
below).

> - Is there a preferred way of generating the source and/or the binary package?
debuild is the frontend of frontends; try that.

> - Are not correct the packages that include generated files in the diff?
Ideally, "source" packages would contain only true man-written
sources.  If your diff is big because generated files are being
changed, then have ./debian/rules:clean target remove them.  Then,
dpkg-buildpackage will warn "file deleted", but that's okay.

> PS: Grrr, and linda says it's a warning to Build-Depend on automake*, when
> clearly many packages have to regenerate their Makefile.in.
Just curious; why do you have to regenerate it?

Justin