Re: creating relocatable packages with dpkg

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:51:54AM +0000, David Given wrote:
> No Spam wrote:
> [...]
> >>I'm not sure that that's what's happening, but it makes sense.  You
> >>can easily install a filesystem with "debootstrap - Bootstrap a basic
> >>Debian system".
> >
> >That seems like such overkill.
>
> I'm trying to do something similar; I'm putting together an embedded
> system, and want to populate it from Debian packages. I need to create a
> minimal chrooted Debian system in a subdirectory and then copy it to my
> target.
>
> debootstrap is, indeed, overkill. It insists on not only creating a local
> admin database but also on downloading all the packages it needs *into*
> that admin database, which takes forever. It also insists on installing all
> sorts of stuff that I'm never going to want to use --- my embedded system
> doesn't *need* exim, for example.

Investigate the --exclude option for debootstrap.

Though it looks like what you actually want isn't a Debian system at all, but
simply a bunch of binaries which happen to have been built by Debian.  In
that case, your simplistic extractor shell script is probably pretty much
what you want -- as long as you realise the complete non-upgradability and
non-maintainability (in the usual system administrative sense) of your
chroot, it seems like the sensible option.

Be careful, though, of random destruction of /usr/share/doc -- I've come
across some licences which require certain statements to be preserved
alongside the software they apply to, and the licence (as stored in
/usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright) is the only location of said statements
in the Debian binary package.

- Matt