Think I found errors in apt-get, need help with wine package

My package is a rather unusual change, so it wouldn't surprise me if
I've uncovered a few bugs in apt-get.  I know for certain I've found at
least one.

I'm repackaging wine, as the old package is rather out of date.  The old
package was also needlessly split into multiple packages, and
recommended some obsolete packages which now actually break wine if
installed.

Here are the old packages:
winesetuptk, wine-doc, wine-utils, libwine, libwine0.0.971116, wine-doc,
libwine-alsa, libwine-arts, libwine-capi, libwine-jack, libwine-nas,
libwine-print, libwine-twain, libwine-dev

And here are the new packages:
wine, wine-dev

What I'd like is for all the old stuff to be automagically removed, and
wine installed in place (wine-dev will replace libwine-dev if they have
it.)

Here is my control file:

Source: wine
Section: otherosfs
Maintainer: Scott Ritchie <scott@open-vote.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), flex, bison, libx11-dev, libxt-dev,
libicu28-dev, libncurses5-dev, libcupsys2-dev, libfontconfig-dev,
libfreetype6-dev, mesa-common-dev | nvidia-glx-dev | fglrx-driver-dev,
libungif4-dev | giflib3g-dev, libjack0.80.0-dev, libarts1-dev,
libaudio-dev, libasound2-dev, linux-kernel-headers, libssl-dev,
libcapi20-dev, docbook-utils, docbook-xsl, docbook-to-man,
libjpeg-mmx-dev | libjpeg62-dev
Standards-Version: 3.6.1

Package: wine
Architecture: any
Suggests: msttcorefonts
Conflicts: binfmt-support (<< 1.1.2), winesetuptk, wine-doc, wine-utils,
libwine, libwine0.0.971116, wine-doc, libwine-alsa, libwine-arts,
libwine-capi, libwine-jack, libwine-nas, libwine-print, libwine-twain
Replaces: winesetuptk, wine-doc, wine-utils, libwine, libwine0.0.971116,
wine-doc, libwine-alsa, libwine-arts, libwine-capi, libwine-jack,
libwine-nas, libwine-print, libwine-twain
Library)
 While Wine is usually thought of as a Microsoft Windows emulator, the
Wine
 developers would prefer that users thought of Wine as a Windows
compatibility
 layer for Linux. Wine does not require MS Windows, but it can use
native system
 dll files in place of its own if they are available.
 .
 This package includes a program loader, which allows unmodified Windows
 binaries to run under compatible hardware.  This package also includes
the
 library that implements the Wine project's free version of the Windows
API,
 allowing successful running of programs ported directly from Windows.

Package: wine-dev
Architecture: any
Section: libdevel
Depends: wine (= ${Source-Version}), libc6-dev
Conflicts: libwine-dev
Replaces: libwine-dev
 While Wine is usually thought of as a Microsoft Windows emulator, the
Wine
 developers would prefer that users thought of Wine as a Windows
compatibility
 layer for Linux. Wine does not require MS Windows, but it can use
native system
 dll files in place of its own if they are available.
 .
 This package consists of the development files needed to compile
programs
 using wine's free version of the Microsoft Windows API.

So far, I've encountered two problems.

First, apt-get dist-upgrade keeps wine back, and I can't figure out why.
Here's what happens when I try to dpkg -i the wine deb file:

dpkg: considering removing winesetuptk in favour of wine ...
dpkg: yes, will remove winesetuptk in favour of wine.
dpkg: considering removing wine-doc in favour of wine ...
dpkg: yes, will remove wine-doc in favour of wine.
dpkg: considering removing libwine in favour of wine ...
dpkg: no, cannot remove libwine (--auto-deconfigure will help):
 libwine-twain depends on libwine
  libwine is to be removed.
dpkg: regarding wine_0.0.20041019-1_i386.deb containing wine:
 wine conflicts with libwine
  libwine (version 0.0.20040615-1ubuntu1) is installed.
dpkg: error processing wine_0.0.20041019-1_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing wine
 wine_0.0.20041019-1_i386.deb

This doesn't make any sense, since the package replaces libwine-twain as
well.  dpkg should be removing them both.

The second thing to notice is that when I run apt-get install wine I get
the following:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  wine-utils winesetup binfmt-support
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwine libwine-alsa libwine-arts libwine-dev libwine-jack libwine-nas
  libwine-print libwine-twain wine-doc winesetuptk
  wine
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 3855kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Two things are wrong here.  For starters, the suggested packages being
displayed are wrong - those were only suggested in the old version of
the package, and are now obsolete (and even conflicted) by the new
version.  The second is that, although apt is removing libwine-dev, it
is not replacing it with wine-dev.

So, what's the verdict:  Bug in my package control file, bug in apt, bug
in dpkg, or combination of all three?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie