Re: RFS: foremost -- A console program to recover files from a disk or image

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 08:45 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> what's the point? on any modern filesystem, a file may be split
> into non-consecutive blocks, even in reversed order. unless you are
> talking about <4Kb files, you have to have filesystem knowledge to
> reconstruct files.

It's use is intended more for forensics than "my disk is dead, I'd like
to try and recover my files".
I have tested this app on ntfs, vfat and ext2 volumes. I can tell you
for certain that it does not need the ntfs filesystem driver to work
with an ntfs partition and yet it can read and restore files. Most of
the files were a *lot* larger than 4kb, and were recovered intact.
As the application has no idea of the filesystem, the filenames
themselves are not preserved but the data is.

Regards,
Niall