Re: How to remove ITP from debian.org?

On Thursday 26 August 2004 22:11, Lawrence Williams wrote:
> John Buttery wrote:
> >* Lawrence Williams <lawrence_cecil_williams@hotmail.com> [2004-08-26
23:26:25 -0230]:
> >>It is pointless to leave them open, since neither package can ever
> >> be released.
> >
> >  Am I missing something here...couldn't these packages be in
> > contrib if they themselves are free, even if their dependencies
> > aren't?
>
> python2.3-lame Depends on LAME being available ( due to patent
> issues, it isn't in Debian ). And LSongs is shot, since it depends on
> python2.3-lame.

I think what John was saying is that both python2.3-lame and LSongs,
assuming they both are free on their own, could go probably go in
contrib. Users could then install those packages, but would have to get
lame from somewhere else (i.e. non-free, some other repository, etc).

OTOH, if getting LSongs in main was important to you (or somebody) it
might make sense to strip lame support out of LSongs, and either have
the features that use it disabled (probably used for ripping CD's?) or
simple replace that support with support for encoding to a patent-free
format like Ogg/Vorbis.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>