Re: gamecon driver

Matt Fishburn wrote:

Hello,

I recently soldered a couple of SNES controllers as suggested in the
Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt file (from the kernel tree). The controllers work well under the stock Debian 2.4.18-1-686 kernel,
but I've been unable to get the controllers working under several 2.6
kernels (the stock 2.6.7-1-686 kernel didn't work, and neither did
several 2.6.8.1 kernels I've compiled).  I receive a "No such device"
error when I try modprobing the gamecon module with the 2.6 kernels I've
tried, and I can't seem to find a resolution online to this issue.

I wouldn't mind trying to figure out if there is a problem with the
driver in the 2.6 kernel (I have some programming experience), but I'm
unsure how to start troubleshooting the issue (where to look in the
kernel, online, etc.).  Any suggestions?

Matt Fishburn
fishburn at mit dot edu

Hmmmmm... I can relate...

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder connected to the Gameport on my Intel 810 onboard sound card. It worked fine under all 2.4.2x and 2.6.x ( up to and including 2.6.2 ) kernels.

Once I installed 2.6.3, it stopped working. I use the same modules as before ( joydev, gameport, ns558, and sidewinder ). Only difference now is that the gameport module detects the port, then before ns558 fails with error code -16 ( still haven't discovered why it does ).

I am using ALSA module snd-intel8x0 and have tried every suggestion under the sun ( passing joystick_port options and the like ). Strange thing is, I recently tried out SuSE 9.1 Professional ( DVD ) and the YaST sound card utility detected the gamepad and had it working! I should've noted if it was a 2.6 or 2.4 kernel.

Best of luck to you!
Lawrence