gamecon driver

Hello,

I recently soldered a couple of SNES controllers as suggested in the
Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt file (from the kernel tree).
The controllers work well under the stock Debian 2.4.18-1-686 kernel,
but I've been unable to get the controllers working under several 2.6
kernels (the stock 2.6.7-1-686 kernel didn't work, and neither did
several 2.6.8.1 kernels I've compiled).  I receive a "No such device"
error when I try modprobing the gamecon module with the 2.6 kernels I've
tried, and I can't seem to find a resolution online to this issue.

I wouldn't mind trying to figure out if there is a problem with the
driver in the 2.6 kernel (I have some programming experience), but I'm
unsure how to start troubleshooting the issue (where to look in the
kernel, online, etc.).  Any suggestions?

Matt Fishburn
fishburn at mit dot edu