Re: ITA: mpg321

Hi,

Chris Anderson wrote:
> You definitely need to wait for a reply for at least a week, then
> generally try one last time to contact him. Hijacking it after 1 day
> isn't responsible and is sometimes considered rude, not everyone has
> access to email 24x7.

It *is* rude :) It's just... in my overzealousness I thought that Joe
would definitely give me a O.k. ;) Strange optimism (or pessimism,
because it seems that it's still a lot of work to let mpg321 be a
really good, free replacement to mpg123... nevertheless Joe Drew did a
*great* job)

I uploaded the package to the server so that I can use such a mpg321
version (with some really small fixes of bugs that really annoyed me)
on every machine. Then I thought, once uploaded, I could also make it
public.

Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> wrote:
> I will sponsor in Stephan's NMUs and patches to mpg321, but am currently
> unwilling to give up maintainership of it.

You'll me, because I re-indented the code which can be found in the
.tar.gz. :) (I thought that was useful because there was a scary
indentation-style mix...)

> I do agree that not waiting for at least a week can be considered rude
> and is certainly overeager.

Yes, it is :)

> It isn't a problem in this case, but I can conceive of a maintainer who
> could get angry over it.

I think *I* would get angry, especially if it is a project which caused
that much time. But my personized overeager also told me to make a fork
(which doesn't use libmad0, because it seems a bit.... mad), but that's
more rude than asking for adoption ;)

regards,
sbeyer