readline library question

Hi, All.
In my Linux program on my computer with Debian Linux  I need to have a
simple command line input. I plan  to use remote Windows computer as remote
console and use it's Windows telnet for communication. I try to use Linux
readline library. It works when I use standard input and output. When I
create TCP socket,
associate file "dirstream" with it and make redirections:
         rl_instream = dirstream;
         rl_outstream = dirstream;
the readline outputs prompt to remote telnet console, but I cannot
input the command. And I see following warning: "rl_prep_terminal:
cannot get terminal settings."

So, the readline seems to work fine with standard input-output, but somehow
goes wrong when I try to use non-standard stream ("dirstream", associated
with a socket in my case)

Can anybody give an advise?
Thanks in advance, Alex.