advice on site-specific modified .debs

Hello,

I am about to create site-specific debs, e.g. patched versions of official
Debian packages with local add-ons (that don't make sense for upstream).

So far, we were naming those packages:

<companyname>-packagename

This has the disadvantage that a lot of stuff in debian/rules etc. has to
be changed (directory names below debian are <companyname>-packagename
instead of packagename).

Another possibility is to add the company name after the package name,
including it in the version number, e.g. package-<company>-1.2.3-1.

I want to assure that only the site-specific packages are use. What's the
best way to achieve this? Apt-Pinning my local repository?

Basically, I'd like to stay as close as possible in parallel to the
official source package: If a new official version is released, download
the source package, patch it and re-build for local use.

TIA for your input

Alex

--
      /"\