Re: dpkg and a symlink that gets a directory

On 2004-07-30 Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> schrieb:
> > I think what you want is described in the "dpkg programmers manual":
> >
> > 	A directory will never be replaced by a symbolic links to a
> > 	directory or vice versa; instead, the existing state (symlink or
> > 	not) will be left alone and dpkg will follow the symlink if
> > 	there is one.

> Ah, thank you. I think this should be in policy.

It is. in "6.5 Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade",
where it is probably not easy to find if you search for it, but
where there are good chances people interested indetails of
unpacking/configuring will stumble upon it. (I just did ;-)

> So then I know that it is necessary and correct to remove the existing
> symlink from the old package in preinst. But I'd still like to know what
> the error message during dpkg unpack phase is:

> rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/texmf/web2c': Is a directory

That is probably dpkg doing
|    6. Any files which were in the old version of the package but not
|       in the new are removed.

          cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"