Re: naim - IM client

On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 7:50 PM, Rohit Pidaparthi <rohitpid@comcast.net>
wrote:

> naim is an ncurses based console IM client that supports various
[...]
> The source, diff, dsc etc can be found at:
> http://mithrandir.dyndns.org/debs/source/
>
> The packages are policy compliant. (use the 0.11.7 packages)

At least debian/control *isn't* policy compliant - for one thing, it
contains multiple Build-Depends fields. There should only be one, either as
a single line or folded over multiple lines as described in policy (5.1);
additionally, there should be a comma between each entry (there's one
missing) and no comma after the final item.

Some of the Build-Deps themselves are a little enthusiastic to say the least
:> (and in at least a couple of cases in violation of policy); briefly:

* You do not need to (and indeed should not) Build-Depend on any package
marked as `Essential', unless you require specific versions of the package
(sections 3.5 and 4.2). That means you can remove: base-files (why is that
there anyway? :->) and coreutils.

* Build-Dependencies on any package classed as `build-essential' are also
unnecessary unless you need specific versions. That allows the removal of
gcc-3.3 (build-essential always depends on the current default version of
gcc) and libc6-dev.

* You can also remove any Build-Deps that appear to be present purely to
satisfy the dependencies of other Build-Deps: libc6 and l-k-h (libc6-dev
depends on both), libncurses5 (depended upon by the -dev package) and
probably libattr1 (since libacl1 depends on it).

Having said all that, the package did build under pbuilder with the above
changes without any other obvious issues, and installed and ran
successfully. I'm afraid I didn't have the chance to try it very much and
probably won't for at least a few days (and I'm not a DD so you'd need
someone else to check it anyway).

Cheers,

Adam