Re: debconf question

also sprach Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> [2004.07.13.1204 +0200]:
> How do I display a debconf note only on upgrades from versions
> older than x to x or newer? No need to annoy all users...

AFAICT, the display of a 'note' is triggered by db_get in postinst.
Since postinst gets the previous version as arguments to an
upgrade/configure action, it's a simple case/if statement.

case "$1" in
  configure)

    case "$2" in
      0.13*) db_get postgrey/subnet_upgrade_note;;
    esac

esac

> And while I'm at it: the behaviour change is not really dangerous,
> but can cause people to get more spam. (Background: postgrey
> changed from --lookup-by-host to --lookup-by-subnet in Version
> 1.14) So, is a debconf notice even necessary, or would NEWS.Debian
> suffice?

I say it would. But debconf doesn't hurt.

`. `'`