Re: How many times run debian/config?

Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@kobold.it> wrote:

> Il ven, 2004-05-28 alle 13:33, Frank Küster ha scritto:
>> - You MAY NOT MODIFY CONFFILES IN MAINTAINER SCRIPTS!
>
> I read the policy, but I don't know how my package should work.
>
> It is a web-based tool written in PHP. The package provide an example
> configuration which have to be modified by the system administrator
> after installing it. In debian/config (but I will move the code in
> debian/postint) I try to automatically set up the configuration files
> reading from others conf files of other packages (if they exists).

I cannot see what's special about that package.

> I can't understand if in my case these I'm right listing them in
> conffiles or not.

If you want to modify them, you may not list them as conffiles. With a
recent version of the build tools, all files installed in
debian/(tmp,package)/etc/ will be listed as conffiles. So you should be
sure to copy them there in your maintainer scripts from somewhere else
(/usr/share/package/ or so).

Also remember that your maintainer scripts, using debconf or not, are
not allowed to overwrite manual configuration by a local
administrator. Therefore upon an upgrade (or install after removal
without purge), you have to respect what's in the files and not
overwrite them. ucf or parsing of the files may be possible solutions.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie