Re: RFS: leo -- a literate editor with outlines for X-Window

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 08:04:05PM +0100, Xavier Antoviaque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to use the convention proposed by Rob Bradford a few weeks ago.
>
> Package name    : leo
> Version         : 3.10
> License         : Python licence
> Upstream Author : Edward K. Ream <edream@tds.net>
> Upstream URL    : http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html
> Package URL     : http://foobbs.org/debian
> NM status       : first package (no application yet)
> GPG key ID      : 75DC 9C3D 5537 8694 A57F 1423 2FB4 F9FF 2AD1 9DF6
> Description     : a literate editor with outlines for X-Window

Some remarks, not that I'm not a Debian Developer (yet), but before leo can be
included in Debian, these issues need to be resolved anyway

- The .diff.gz is huge, because you included a number of html files
  ripped from a website. Please don't do that this way. You didn't note
  the source of the html pages in the debian/copyright file, it's not
  sure whether you were allowed to do so (I fail to see a license about
  it anywhere, and without license to redistribute those .html files,
  it's illegal to do so). You should ask upstream to include
  documentation in the package itself.
  If you do want to include extra html files, I'd suggest -- if it's
  allowed and such -- to either make a separate source package for the
  leo-docs package, or include it in the .orig.tar.gz (in the latter
  case, you'll need to include in the .orig.tar.gz both the original
  .zip file and the .html files, and unpack the zip in your debian/rules
  file).
- Not your fault (see date of original message), but a new upstream is
  available
- If you include your own manpage (great that you've written one -- did
  you sent it upstream already?), as sgml. You included the generated
  manpage in the .diff.gz: don't do that, have build it into
  debian/<package>, leo.1 is a generated file.
- debian/rules: don't invoke programs with /usr/bin/<program>, but
  simply <program> (docbook-to-man)
- You fail to build-depend on debhelper and python
- In debian/control, use ${python:Depends}, in stead of hardcoding the
  python dependencies
- I don't think it's priority 'optional', see
  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive#s-priorities
  something like 'Literate editor ...'
- Remove the dh-make generated example postinst.ex et al
- debian/changelog: 'This is my first Debian package' -- Is that
  relevant for this very package?
- debian/copyright: it has huge lines, you could reformat them to fit 78
  chars
- leo(1): It's /usr/share/doc/, not /usr/doc (was already the case in
  2002)
- Is it really necessary to have both .GIF and .ico and .bmp's in
  /usr/share/leo/Icons? Also, the 'Thumbs.db' file seems to me as an
  artifect of a certain Operating System, and shouldn't be installed in
  /usr/share
- When running leo just after installing, I get this:

jeroen@mordor-sid5:~$ leo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/leo/leo.py", line 190, in ?
    shutil.copyfile('/etc/leo/leoConfig.leo', os.path.join(deb_user_conf_path, '/leoConfig.leo'))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/shutil.py", line 38, in copyfile
    fdst = open(dst, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/leoConfig.leo'

Which indicates to me leo is trying to write to the root filesystem.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl