Re: Sponsor for Ontographics?

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 12:47:06AM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > > 'official' Java package from Blackdown. I have used the Blackdown
> > > package from
> > > deb http://jopa.studentenweb.org/debian/ ./
> > >
> > > which works great. It's very likely, that other j2re1.4 packages (if
> > > there are any) are similar to that one, but that's not guaranteed. I
> > > don't know if that's a problem.
> >
> > I'd ask the source of your packages to put a distinguishing file into the
> > j2re1.4 package so you can easily identify it once installed
>
> what about /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/bin/java (the one which is in the
> startup script)? I mean, if this file is present, it is very likely to
> be a Java 1.4 RE.

One possibility.  I was thinking about the case where there's another
j2re1.4 package made, which follows your preferred one in terms of file
locations, but includes different options or something, which makes your
program act strangely, which causes people to complain.  It's a corner case,
but I like corner cases.  <grin>

> > Or just rewrite it in a language that has a working DFSG-free engine.  <grin>
>
> Be sure, I would do it if I had the time and experience with other
> graphics engines. I hope to get it working with kaffe some day, but I
> assume its still a long way.

It gives you an interesting project - implement the graphics bits you need
for kaffe...

- Matt