Re: Sponsor for Ontographics?

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 10:06:26PM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > Does your package depend on the Blackdown JRE .deb?  If so, then it would be
> > reasonable to rely on that package's file locations.
>
> That was exactly my thought. My package depends on j2re1.4 and uses the
> packages file locations. The only problem that I see is, that there is
> not such package in debian. To make it even worse, there is no

That's all right, neither's your package, so all rules are out the window
anyway.  <grin>

> 'official' Java package from Blackdown. I have used the Blackdown
> package from
> deb http://jopa.studentenweb.org/debian/ ./
>
> which works great. It's very likely, that other j2re1.4 packages (if
> there are any) are similar to that one, but that's not guaranteed. I
> don't know if that's a problem.

I'd ask the source of your packages to put a distinguishing file into the
j2re1.4 package so you can easily identify it once installed, and put
prominent pointers to those packages into the documentation and any error
messages resulting from running your program on a system that does not have
your preferred j2re1.4 package installed.  Dodgy, but it ensures to the best
of your ability that you run with the j2re package you've tested with.

Or, and this is an even dodgier hack, get the provider of your preferred
j2re package to Provide: some specific virtual package (say
jopa-studentenweb-j2re1.4) and have your package depend on that package AS
WELL AS j2re1.4.  Documentation, again, must abound in your package about
where to get the appropriate j2re package.

Or just rewrite it in a language that has a working DFSG-free engine.  <grin>

- Matt