Re: Virtual packages visavi Real packages

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:05:06AM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> The problem is that there's a REAL 'slapd' package on the Debian
> GNU/Linux APT archive(s) which seem to override _my_ virtual
> package(s).
>
> I would like to have my packages to override the 'original' one
> (they have A LOT newer version).

Virtual packages don't exist to override real packages; they satisfy
(unversioned) dependencies.  If you want your virtual package to be used
instead of the concrete one, install it explicitly, and then the real
package won't need to be installed to satisfy any dependencies.

--
 - mdz